Been a busy few weeks ...





Lots of family activity.

First off, our wee premmie boy turn 5 and is now a school boy.  

My first visit.  My finger was nearly as long as his leg.
 


Lucas and Sophia
.


First day of school

Then last weekend we had all but one of the kids at home and the grandchildren. I was so dumb, I forgot to get photos.  I was just so busy enjoying them all.  

Then on the Sunday we went out to Lake Okataina to check out the wedding venue for Kelly's wedding next February.  Krystal took a photo of us which is not too bad.  Just wished I'd had more sleep the night before and my face wasn't so fat.  

So now I confess to the eating not being flash.  Two weekends of takeaways and lunches doesn't aid weight loss.  

 Now really is the time to start clean healthy eating because we've had a health scare.

I've been umming and ahhing this past week whether to blog about it or not, but I've decided to simply because it's somewhere I can keep a record of everything.

Here goes.

Probably one of the reasons my face looks so fat was because I was up most of the night bawling my eyes out.  Mr T blurted out the night before that he had leaukemia.  God, my world completely dissolved.  I knew he went for the results of his blood test on Friday and he told me everything was fine.  He waited till Saturday when it was just us and my son Matt and his girlfriend.  He didn't want anyone else to know but Matt so that he could give me some support.  It was a pretty sucky night.  Lots of talking and discussion trying to get my head around it.

Then when I got up in the morning he told me huney I got it wrong.  It's not leaukemia, it's emphysema.  Still not good but a better outlook.

This week I've done a lot of research, as you do, he's been back to see our doctor, he saw a locum last week as she's been on leave.  She explained it to him really well, and relieved his mind a lot.  It cannot be reversed, but he can stop it from progressing if he stops smoking.  That means me too.  I don't smoke during the day, but I do at the end of the day.  For me it's all about changing the routine I'm in when I get home from work.  For Mr T it is going to be harder as he smokes all day, he won't eat, but will smoke.  It's going to be real hard but in saying that, this week he has had 4 smokes a day.  Today is day 1 on champix.  We know it could make him sick but he's been through all the side effects and he's very determined.  And I am very determined. I've been making him eat breakfast this week and it seems to be helping.

The prognosis is good.  The emphysema is in the very early stages and if he stops smoking now his life expectancy is normal.  If not 2 - 5 years. End of story. 

Plus a change of lifestyle, eating healthy, keeping active will help with both of our wellbeing.  We've spent the last few years under so much pressure and stress we need to start reversing things.  

This weekend we will be busy.  I have to spend a day in the workshop, then we have Kayla and Jaxon for the night.  I'm going to keep myself busy by cleaning and hoping to have a day in the garden.  This week I got someone in to tidy up the front of the section, trim trees, weed, mow and edge and now I just want to get out and get some flowers in ready for spring/summer.  

I'm going to embrace this full on and hopefully I might be able to get Mr T interested in cooking too.  

The next week or two is going to be hard but I'm just going to have to keep him focussed on the positives.

Looking forward to a brighter future.

Ciao.xxx

Comments

  1. Hmmm emphysema sounds a lot better than leukaemia to me.... sorry to hear that, hopefully this will make you both stop smoking lol - you should put the cigarette money in a jar and put it towards a trip somewhere later down the line. A good reward :). Hope you have a great weekend, and the gardening should be happening, think we are suppose to be having fine weather for a few days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been talking about it for ages and now its time for action. There are so many positives and we both have to keep telling ourselves that and just break the habit. It won't be easy but we will do it. And we've already talked about the holiday, lol.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear the news about Mr T. Great prognosis is great. I gave up on the 1st May 2001 when my Dad got lung cancer as a promise to him. Positive thinking, some lifestyle changes and yes look forward to a brighter future. xx

    My, hasn't Lucas grown?? Enjoy your weekend with the grandees…

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a shock for you, especially since last year was so hard for you financially with the business to then have this dumped on you. Breaking the habit will be the hard bit for both of you, but you have each other, and a bloody good reason to stop. The holiday idea is a good one, something to get you both through the stress of giving up smoking and the illness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts