Emerging from my nightmare ....

Before I continue this has nothing to do with Lucas. He is doing super. In fact we’re hoping he’s being transferred home today which I can’t wait for.

Nope, this is all about me.

It took till last week for me to realise I have been unwell for a very long time. My difficulties with breathing and finding out that I had asthma was a shock but thought that now I was on ventolin everything would all be good again. Wrong.

I’ve lacked energy for quite some time and it really irks me – so last weekend I pushed myself to stack the firewood in the garage and get some real exercise. It took me a while and I was puffing a bit but I did it. Unfortunately I stirred up quite a lot of dust – combined with all the pollen around at the moment. Our deck, vehicles, outdoor furniture are thick yellow with pollen at the moment.

So I started with the hayfever symptoms, followed by a harsh cough and then waking up three to four times during the night not being able to breathe. That is the most terrifying feeling. I got real bad, real fast. Thursday morning I was in tears, I’d had enough. Breathless, wheezy and exhausted. One of the girls from work drove me to the Doctor’s, which is two doors up the road. I couldn’t even walk that far. They put me straight on the nebuliser which gave me some relief. When my Doctor saw me she was a bit surprised and said that this had come out of left field. (she was on holiday last time I went and ended up seeing a locum). Anyway she said we’re going to shut this asthma down now. I think I felt instant relief just hearing her say that. So she put me on some steroids which she said would make me feel a lot better in 4 – 6 hours. I also have preventalin (sp) which I am going to have to take every single day and night from here on. Unfortunately things didn’t happen the way they were suppose to. I had another real bad night and the medication certainly wasn’t working for me.

So back again to the Doctors the next day. She was quite surprised and said the asthma was quite aggressive and didn’t want to let go of me. So she said we had to be aggressive too. So up goes my meds. A bit more time on the nebuliser and I was starting to get a little bit of relief. I was sent home and they phoned me every couple of hours to see how I was doing. I had a bit of an improvement so they were happy enough. I just had strict instructions that if it didn’t get better over the weekend then I had to go to ER. The plan was for the next few days it had to all be about ME. Plenty of rest.

Well I’m pleased to say that just after lunch on Saturday everything kicked in. I had this amazing amount of energy that I couldn’t keep still. I started wiping down walls and skirting boards and light switches. I felt super great. I actually had to make myself stop so I didn’t overdo it.

I guess this is when it hit me that I couldn’t really remember the last time I felt this good. I’ve felt sluggish for such a long time but I put it down to being unfit. But now that I’m breathing properly again I know now that it’s been deteriorating for some time.

So now that I’m on the mend again I look back on last week and take the positives from it all.

I know what’s wrong with me and it can be controlled.
I will feel 100% better.
I will have more energy. More energy means more moving. More moving means faster metabolism.
I’m motivated to get off my chuff and start walking.
I won’t get so tired so fast now.

So I feel like I’ve turned a corner. Not only health wise, but healthy living wise. This is just all added incentive for me to keep on going and lose this extra weight. I’m actually starting to inspire myself.

Not quite out of the woods yet. The coughing I've had has been "violent" to say the least and I've strained my muscles in my stomach and my back and it's very painful. But with plenty of fluids and honey and lozenges and decongestants I hope to get on top of this real soon.

I've also put on 500gms. I blame Mr T's cooking.

Sorry for the long post. But I needed to get this down for my own record and besides I haven't blogged for awhile, so it is catch up time.

I'll leave you with a photo of Lucas and his Dad.



Ciao for now ..

Comments

  1. My Mum suffered badly from asthma and had daily nebs, so I can understand your distress, she would get into such a panic. I do hope you recover and get back to good health very soon, I know with the warmer weather coming it should help.Look after yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You poor bugger, there is nothing worse than struggling for air.

    We had to phone an ambulance for Sian in the early hours one morning a couple of weeks back, it is a scary thing and can come on out of nowhere. Keep safe and breathe deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - how scary! I am so glad you are feeling better now. Isn't it amazing how sometimes we can 'ignore' how bad we are feeling and it isn't til we get it right that we realise how bad it was. Thank goodness for good doctors and medication!
    That wee boy is gorgeous!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter and a couple of our grandkids are asthmatics. I know how scary it can be to see an attack!

    Pleased to hear your wee man is doing well:-) Thanks for your comment - you hit the nail on the head, I'm getting it sorted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How scary for you. I seriously can't even begin to imagine how frightening that must have been. I hope they have the medication right now. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts