Good to be back ....

My god it’s great to be back.

What a week it’s been.

I have to say for many years I’ve been called up for Jury service and each time had written back to be excused which in the past has been accepted. So it was a bit of a shock this time to get a letter back telling me that this time I wasn’t excused and to turn up to Court.

My workmates reckoned I’d probably get challenged and Mr T said I would get picked.

Mr T was right.

5 day trial in the High Court.

A logging accident where a log came off the back of a truck and went through the windscreen of a passing truck, decapitated the driver. The driver carrying the logs was charged with manslaughter for failing to secure his load. The driver claimed he had.

I can say it was very interesting to watch how the justice system works. Not quite like the television dramas tho. We had the expert witnesses and then we had some real characters. Made me laugh out loud a few times. I’ve learnt quite a lot about logging trucks and logs and I tell you I’m never going to travel behind a logging truck again. I’ve seen some pretty scary stuff I can tell you.

Verdict. Not guilty. We all believed his load was secured, the crown couldn’t give any evidence to prove it wasn’t. Only assumptions. In the end it was a freak accident that happened on a dark and foggy morning. A tragic accident.

It was a relief to get it over and done with. It was quite draining and at night you couldn’t help but go over everything in your head and of course you can’t talk to anyone about it but the other jurors.

So now I have done my civic duty and I won’t have to worry about it for at least another couple of years.

After last weigh in I lost another kg then quickly found it with the arrival of TOM. Thankfully it’s gone again now plus a little extra so will look forward to a loss tomorrow. Eating has been okay but not flash. Got out of sync last week so I’m trying hard to get back on track.

I’m trying to lay off the caffeine and drink more water. It hasn’t been too hard - especially now that the weather is a bit warmer and a lot sunnier.

Finally after three tough weekends, our bedroom is finished. Well not quite. We still need the light fittings and sockets and the doors for the wardrobe and our room. But we’re all carpeted and painted and wallpapered and it looks so lovely and clean and fresh. I put the curtains up last night and tonight we’re going to set up our bedroom suite. I can’t wait. It’s been sitting in the entranceway and in the lounge for the past month. I get to declutter my house again. Bliss.

So tomorrow everything is back to normal for me. I’m loaded up with my crackers and tomatoes, and low point snacks.


I've been promising photos and not getting around to it so I was going through some photos at work and found our pics for the last annual report.




This is the one from 2001. Me with short hair.





Catch ya tomorrow.

Comments

  1. My brother died in an accident JUST LIKE THAT in Indonesia in 1999. Over there they don't secure their loads at all.... the driver didn't even stop ... GUILTY. Glad you enjoyed your jury service, I have never been on one... but would love to. The photo is lovely, you all look very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My younger brother drives log trucks... I wouldnt do it for quids...
    I havent ever done jury duty... I got called up years ago but got out of it on medical grounds due to having a new prem baby at the time... and have never been called back...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only ever been called up once, one time was with my daughter. She got picked I got sent home. I think I would find it really hard.

    You look great in the photo:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jury duty, been lucky enough to have never been called up.
    wooooohooooooooo the bedroom finally done....well done!!
    Love the pics, you look a happy group.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts