Planning ......

Hope you all survived the wild and wacky weather weekend. I had nothing major planned and no dramas, which is always a nice bonus. A couple of snuggly lie ins and the usual Saturday at the workshop followed by a snug laid back Sunday.


I’ve been reading a lot of success stories off the weightwatchers site as just like you guys I get a lot of inspiration from them. I figure if they can do it then so can I. In nearly every case they all say the same thing that has contributed to their loss. Track everything, drink your water and exercise at least three times a week. The other main contributor is to plan ahead.

For the most part I keep a well stocked fridge and pantry. I also have a well stocked family – ie lots of kids. One older one who lives downstairs who also has friends. So quite often when I go to the fridge or cupboard to get something, sometimes it’s not there or I’m missing the ingredients for a dish. When that happens I generally give up and normally it’s takeaways or something. But it doesn’t have to be that way.

Sunday before going out to get the groceries I sat down and planned my meals for the whole week. Then I wrote out my shopping list also allowing for extras to replenish my cupboards. With the rising cost in food and petrol lately I’ve been adopting the stance of if I don’t need it then don’t get it. While that makes perfect sense and easier on the pocket my cupboards have become neglected.

Like for instance I always keep lots of pasta, pasta sauces, canned tomatos, soups, cook in the pot sachets etc. I also like to make sure I have cheese and sliced ham in the fridge because you always whip up something nice and tasty if you have them in the fridge. Now I know cheese is expensive but I’ve got a grater that grates the cheese finer which gives me the same amount of cheese for a lot less. If you know what I mean. I also buy between $2 - $3 worth of shaved ham. Makes a few sandwiches as well as adding something extra to a pasta dish.

So Sunday I went to the supermarket armed with my list. I pushed my trolley around and filled her up. I got everything on my list as well as a few extra items which were on special and too good to pass up. I spent $232. That’s not bad. It’s not including meat or much fruit and veges but I can feed my family for at least 3 weeks with what is in my cupboard now.

After putting my groceries away I prepared a beef casserole for Monday’s dinner. I cut the meat and the veges and left it overnight in the fridge to marinate. I popped it in the crockpot when I got up in the morning. For dinner Sunday I made a large pot of macaroni and cheese and ham for dinner. Went down a treat and there was leftovers for Cols lunch.

I’ve planned my week. Tomorrow we’ll have chicken, veges and rice. The day after lamb loin chops and veges, then chicken breasts in a honey mustard sauce, then silverside, and roast lamb.

I have a supply of weightwatchers meals in the freezer to counteract any weak or feeling lazy moments.

So for now I’m back in control on the food front and it’s a nice feeling. I just need to keep it up.

Comments

  1. Similar minds here! Planning is the key. A bit like you I've been a lot more careful with supermarket shopping. Less processed goodies and more basic items. Started baking as well and also use the crock pot a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts